Date of Birth: 3.8.54
Department of Neurosurgery
Bristol BS10 5NB
PA: Ms Elizabeth Robin
BSc (Lond): 1975; MB BS (Lond): 1979; FRCS (Edin): 1983
GMC Registration: Full: No. 2478214
Insurance: MPS (No. 122354)
- School: Trinity College, Glenalmond, Perthshire, Scotland (1968 - 72)
- Undergraduate: University College, London (1972 – 1975)
- Medical School: Westminster Medical School, London (1976 – 1979)
- Pre-registration Year: Westminster Hospital, London (1979 – 1980)
- General surgery training: London, Luton and Birmingham (1980 – 1983)
- Neurosurgical training:
- SHO: Frenchay Hospital, Bristol (1984)
- Registrar: Walton Hospital, Liverpool (1984/85, 1986/87)
- Research Fellow: Institute of Neurology, Queen’s Square & The National Medical Laser Centre, London (1985/6)
- Senior Registrar: Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, Hope Hospital, Salford (1987-90)
- Locum Consultant: Hope Hospital, Salford (1990 – 91)
- Medical Director, South West Imaging Services Ltd (2005-2010)
- Consultant Neurosurgeon: Frenchay Hospital, Bristol (1991- 2014), Southmead Hospital (2014 - 2018)
- Honorary Consultant Neurosurgeon: North Bristol NHS Trust (2019)
Epilepsy surgery, Neuro-oncology, Pain surgery, Orbital surgery, Spinal surgery including intrinsic cord pathology and spinal cord injury, Medical audit.
Image guided surgery, Laser surgery, Computers in surgery, Surgical Robotics
Clinical applications of image guided surgery: techniques for radical resection of intrinsic brain tumours, minimally invasive epilepsy surgery, anterior cervical image guidance, image fusion and multimodality image guidance
Neuromodulation: Development of central and peripheral neurostimulation for pain and epilepsy surgery
Image guided radiosurgery - Cyberknife
Neurosurgical robotics - applications to epilepsy surgery - Renishaw
Neuro-oncology: Development of web based data collection systems, role of surgery in glioma management
Head injury, laser surgery, photodynamic therapy, spinal surgery, early development of image guided surgery
Undergraduate training – lectures + ward supervision, research module supervisor
Postgraduate training supervision
South west postgraduate training director
Chairman of and lecturer on Medtronic SNT international training courses in image guidance
Head of specialty
Chairman of the Regional Brain Tumour Panel for the South west cancer intelligence service
Member European Association of Neurosurgery Technical Standards committee
Chairman of Avon and Somerset neuro-oncology group
Society of British Neurosurgeons representative for the National Institute of Clinical Excellence
Medical Director of South West Imaging Services Ltd (SWIS)
Society of British Neurosurgeons representative for the Committee on Saftey of Devices of the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Authority (MHRA)Personal Details
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP
- Society of British Neurosurgeons - www.sbns.org.uk
- French Neurosurgical Society - 184.108.40.206/sfnc/index2.asp
- European Association of Neurological Surgeons - www.eans.org/
- European Association of Functional and Stereotactic surgery – http://www.essfn.com/
- British Medical Association - http://www.bma.org.uk/
- British Medical Laser Association - www.bmla.co.uk/
- European Laser Association - www.univ-lille2.fr/ela/
1. S M Zeki and D R Sandeman. "Combined anatomical and electrophysiological studies on the boundary between the second and third visual areas of rhesus monkey cortex". Proc R. Soc. Lond. B. 194 555-562 (1976)
2. D R Sandeman, M R Clements, E J Perrins. "Oesophageal obstruction due to hydroscopic gum laxatives".The Lancet 8164: 364-365 (1980)
3. A Simpson, D R Sandeman, S J Nixon, I A Goulbourne, D C Grieve, I M C Macintyre. "The value of an erect abdominal radiograph in the diagnosis of intestional obstruction". Clinical Radiology 36: 41-45 (1985)
4. D R Sandeman & B Cummins. "The provenance of extradural haematomas". BMJ 292: 522-523 (1986)
5. D R Sandeman. "Photodynamic therapy of gliomas: a review". Lasers in Medical Science 3: 163-175 (1986)
6. D R Sandeman, R Bradford, P Buxton, S G Brown, D G T Thomas. Selective necrosis of malignant gliomas in mice using photodynamic therapy. Brit J Cancer 55: 647-649 (1987)
7. C J Tralau, H Barr, D R Sandeman, T Barton, M R Lewis, S G Brown. "Aluminium Sulphonated Phthalocyanine distribution in rodeonolontumbusin of the pancreas". Photochem. Photobiol. 46: 777-781 (1987)
8. D R Sandeman, "Organ transplantation: the ethical issues". Letter to the Independent – 20th April 1987.
9. G F Findlay, D R Sandeman, P Buxton. "The role of needle biopsy in the management of malignant spinal compression". Brit J Neurosurgery 2: 479-484 (1988)
10. D R Sandeman "The potential of Photodynamic Therapy (Photodynamic Therapy) as a tumour selective form of adjuvant therapy following radical surgery for focal malignant gliomas: evaluation of a second generation photosensitiser, Sulphonated Chloro-Aluminium Phthalocyanine (ALSPc)". MS Thesis, University of London. Submitted May 1990.
11. D R Sandeman, A P Sandeman,. P H Buxton, H J Hughes, D W Chadwick, I R Williams, R D Baker, P M Foy, M D M Shaw. "The management of patients with an intrinsinc supratentorial brain tumour". Brit J Neurosurg 4, 299-312 (1990).
12. D R Sandeman. "Tunable lasers and Photodynamic Therapy". Lasers in Neurosurgery, Chapter 8, Jeffreys R.V. (Ed). Publ : Chapman and Hall (1990)
13. D R Sandeman. "Gliomas: Direct Open Surgery". Lasers in Neurosurgery, Chapter 11, Jeffreys R.V. (Ed). Publ : Chapman and Hall (1990)
14. D Smith, J L Hutton, D R Sandemann, P M Foy, M D M Shaw, I R Williams, D W Chadwick. "The prognosis of primary intracerebral tumours presenting with epilepsy: the outcome of medical and surgical management". JNNP 54, 915-920 (1991)
15. D R Sandeman, A Case, E Cause. "Frameless stereotaxy: a new era in image directed neurosurgery and radiological image processing". Clinical MRI 1992: 2: (1991–2).
16. D R Sandeman, C Marshall, P Brett. "Medical robotics in neurosurgery: the potential of three dimensional image guidance systems of intelligent micromanipulators".IEEE. First International Workshop on Mechatronics in Medicine and Surgery. 1992: 152-157.
17. D R Sandeman, S R Butler, J M Bird, M H Morgan. "Monitoring during surgery for epilepsy". Burden Neurological Institute Annual Report: University of Bristol 1993: 8-10.
18. D R Sandeman, N Patel, C Chandler et al. "Advances in image directed neurosurgery: Preliminary experience with the ISG Viewing Wand compared with the Leksell G Frame". Brit J Neurosurg 1994: 8: 529-44
19. N Patel, D R Sandeman. "Advances in image directed neurosurgery". Surgery, 1995 13: 5 199-20.
20. H B Coakham, I Pople, D R Sandeman. "The management of pineal region tumours by ventriculoscopy and biopsy". JNNP 1995 59 651-652.
21. A S Carney, N Patel, D L Baldwin, H B Coakham, D R Sandeman. "Use of the ISG Viewing Wand: Postoperative image guidance in otolaryngology". J Laryngology Otology 1995 109, 792.
22. PV Dyer, N Patel, G M Pell, B Cummings, D R Sandeman. "The ISG Viewing Wand: An application to atlantoaxial surgery using the Le Ford I maxillary osteotomy". Brit J Oral Maxillofacial Surgery 1995 33 370-374.
23. D R Sandeman, S S Gill , "The impact of interactive image guided surgery: the Bristol experience with the ISG/Elekta viewing Wand." Acta Neurochir Suppl (Wien) 1995 64: 54-8
24. N Patel, DR Sandeman et al. "Interactive image guided surgery of the spine – use of the ISG/Elekta Viewing Wand to aid intraperative localisation of a sacral osteoblastoma". Brit J Neurosurg 1997 11: 60-4.
25. D R Sandeman, A Moufid, "Interactive image guided techniques for transnasal pituitary surgery". Neurochirurgie 1998 44: 331-8
26. D R Sandeman. "Helmets, Head Injuries and Cycling". BTA News Summer 1997.
27. D A Hilton, S Love, R Barber, D Ellison, D R Sandeman "Accumulation of p53 and Ki-67 expression do not predict survival in patients with fibrillary astrocytomas or the response of these tumors to radiotherapy." Neurosurgery 1998 42: 724-9
28. D R Sandeman , "Will clinical governance make a difference?" BMJ 1999: 318, 1085
29. N H Walton, C Goodsman, R McCarter, D R Sandeman, J M Bird, "An analysis of neuropsychological change scores following selective temporal resection of the non-dominant temporal lobe." Seizure 1999 8:241-5
30. Ffyche DH, Howseman A Edwards, Sandeman DR, Zeki S. "human area V5 and motion in the ipsilateral field. Eur J Neurosc 2000 12: 3015-25
31. Burn SC, Sandeman DR . "Syringoperitoneal shunt migration. Case illustration" J Neurosurg 94:335
32. Pople IK, Athanasiou TC, Sandeman DR, Coakham HB. "The role of endoscopic biopsy and third ventriculostomy in the management of pineal region tumours. Br J Neurosurg 2001 15:305-11
33. Ching J, Khan S, White P, Reed J, Ramnarine D, Sandeman D. Long-term effectiveness and tolerability of vagal nerve stimulation (VNS) in adults with intractable epilepsy: A retrospective analysis of 100 patients. Brit J Neurosurgery; 2012
34. Prakash S, Kumar A, Sandeman D. Robotic SEEG – The way forward for Extratemporal epilepsy evaluation. Brit J Neurosurgery: accepted 2013
35. Kumar A,
36. Sandeman D 15-year longitudunal study of mortality in a general neurosurgical practice: Brit J Neurosurgery; 2015: 29; 500:504
These references are sited on a Pub Med search under ‘Sandeman DR’
ADDITIONAL CLINICAL ACTIVITIES
- Trustee of the Brain and Spine Foundation - http://www.brainandspine.org.uk/
- Patron of Brain Tumour Support, fomrally Hammer Out, the brain tumour support charity www.braintumoursupport.co.uk